As the industry leader in small- and medium-class space and rocket systems, Orbital provides a complete set of reliable, cost-effective products. Our satellites include geosynchronous Earth orbit (GEO) satellites for communications and broadcasting, low Earth orbit (LEO) spacecraft that perform remote sensing and scientific research, spacecraft used for national security missions, and planetary probes to explore deep space. Our launch vehicles include rockets that transport satellites into orbit, interceptor booster vehicles deployed to protect against enemy missile attack, and target rockets used to test missile defense systems. Orbital is also entering an exciting new era of human space flight supplying commercial cargo resupply services for the International Space Station using our new Antares® rocket and Cygnus™ cargo logistics spacecraft. In addition, Orbital provides full service engineering, production and technical services for NASA, DoD, commercial and academic space programs.
Some general company "facts and figures":
- Substantial operational experience – over 1,000 satellites, launch vehicles and other space-related systems delivered or under contract since 1982
- Large, long-term total contract backlog of approximately $5.2 billion
- Strong, experienced workforce - about 3,600 employees, including 1,800 engineers and scientists
- Modern industrial facilities - over 1,700,000 square feet of state-of-the-art office, R&D and manufacturing space
- All company operations have achieved ISO/AS 9100 quality management system certification
- Solid financial outlook and strong balance sheet - growing revenues, improving profits and low debt levels